Pleasing the King
Sunday sermon by Pastor Rajesh Mathew, 24 Sept 2023
Daniel 6:10- 10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day,and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days.
Mark 6:21-23- 21 Then an opportune day came when Herod on his birthday gave a feast for his nobles, the high officers, and the chief men of Galilee. 22 And when Herodias’ daughter herself came in and danced, and pleased Herod and those who sat with him, the king said to the girl, “Ask me whatever you want, and I will give it to you.” 23 He also swore to her, “Whatever you ask me, I will give you, up to half my kingdom.”
- There is a word used in Daniel 6:10- He did as was his custom since early days. Or as usual. Some people pray only when difficulties come but Daniel prayed as usual. People sit for 21 days of fasting prayer when they are faced with a problem. Here was Daniel going to be thrown into the lion’s den (a huge issue) but he prayed as he usually did.
- Are you the kind of person who will worship Him, praise Him, eek him, clap your hands for him and come under His presence AS USUAL? If so, a unique anointing will come upon your life today by the Holy Spirit.
- Daniel had a relationship with God right from his childhood. As a result of this relationship, he was used to praying thrice a day. He had a desire to walk with God, listen to GOD’s voice and obey His voice. He had a decisive heart. So, no matter what he went through or where he was, he was convinced beyond all doubt that God was with him at all times and all he did was pray as usual.
- Even this morning, When the laws turned against him, when things were fabricated against him, he knew that the God whom he trusted as usual, would deliver him as usual.
May the Holy Spirit grant you consistency in your relationship with God. Not just praying for a need but a real intimacy with the Holy Spirit!
- Don’t pray just to get money to pay the school fees, not to get visas or a promotion at work but pray as usual because you have a relationship with Jesus, seeking His face. A lifestyle of prayer as usual.
- Daniel had intimacy with the Holy Spirit. The lions may be roaring against you but the Lord will supernaturally deliver you if you pray as usual. The Holy Spirit is telling me that certain bank cases will be cancelled.
- Paul says, what shall separate us from the love of God?
Romans 8:28- For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Paul had a relationship with Jesus. An intimacy with Christ and that’s why he was able to say this. He was aware of the truth that the Lord had done for hi and that he would rescue him no matter what.
A part of Daniel’s relationship with God was victory. Some of you are in a deep pit. People are against you, the court is against you, and everything is against you but if you have a relationship and intimacy with Jesus, the Holy Spirit is saying he will open miraculous ways for you in Jesus' Name.
3 REASONS FOR VICTORY IN DANIEL'S LIFE
- Daniel made decisions for God
Daniel 1:8-9- 8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore, he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. 9 Now God had brought Daniel into the favour and [a]goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs.
You will decide that you not defile yourself no matter what. The Holy Spirit is nudging some of you to make that decision.
- You will decide, whatever comes your way, you will be pure and not allow anything to defile you and to live a holy life.
- Today there is a great grace upon your lives to keep yourself undefiled and live a holy life. • Some people decide in the morning when they pray but they cannot keep it. Some people decide church on Sunday morning but they forget that decision by the time they get back home!
What is Holy life? Hating what God hates and loving what God loves.
- Does god hate sin? If yes, you hate sin. Does God love the church? If so, you love the church. You will be concerned about not hurting God in any way. No matter who else is hurt, you will not want to hurt God. If you have a life like that, there is a lot of confidence to enter into God's presence. You won’t feel guilty.
- Somebody was saying- in earlier days when you drank alcohol, you felt good. Before you came to God there was no guilt attached to drinking. But now that you are born again, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in you. Now there is guilt when you know you have defiled yourself. So, even when you come to church, you are still guilty. No peace when you drink alcohol and no peace when you come into church!
Guilt will take away that peace. When guilt is inside you, you will lose your confidence.
- This morning, like Daniel took a decision, he said, Lord give me the grace, I want to be a God pleaser, I want to bring Your name great glory and Honour, Lord please help me! Ask the Lord this morning. If this is a genuine cry from your heart, He will hear you and help you. Call on the Name of Jesus. Jesus!
Holy life means- ‘My life is to please God’.
Revelations 4:11- You were created for His pleasure
- You are called to please Him. You cannot do it on your strength. But you need His grace. Only by grace. Grace grace grace.
- This message is not to condemn you but the Holy Spirit wants to transform us.
Mark 6: 21-22- 19 Therefore Herodias [d]held it against him and wanted to kill him, but she could not; 20 for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just and holy man, and he protected him. And when he heard him, he [e]did many things and heard him gladly. 21 Then an opportune day came when Herod on his birthday gave a feast for his nobles, the high officers, and the chief men of Galilee.
- John the Baptist is in prison. The king liked John the Baptist and even heard him preach but he was in a wrong relationship with the wife (Herodias) of his brother Philip.
- What the prophet preached in the desert entered the halls of the palace. His cries in the desert shook the city. Today what the people of God speak in churches will shake the corridors of power and people in authority.
- The word says that on a convenient/ opportune day, Herodias told her daughter to dance at night before the king. She hit the dance floor. When she did, it pleased the king the Word says. Something about that dance pleased and attracted the king, maybe it was her energy. She danced to please the king.
- When you worship, dance and praise God before the king of kings, how much more will He be pleased?
Put on your dancing shoes in the spirit. Dance to please your king! That is holiness.
- When she pleases the king, he asks her ‘what do you want’. He told her that I will give you up to half my kingdom! She couldn't decide. She went to her mother to ask. • Some of you are like that. Some people are like that, they are undecided. They don’t decide whether they should be baptised or not, whether should they serve God or not, should I give tithe, Should I pray for the anointing.
- Her mother told her to say no to half of the kingdom and instead ask for the head of the prophet (John the Baptist). Here was the king giving her a blank cheque but here was the mother turning away that blessing because of her hatred for the prophet.
If you carry unforgiveness you are defiled. If you are unforgiving you become foolish.
- He wants to give you whatever your kingdom is, it may be ministry kingdom, financial kingdom, etc. If you are ready to forgive, the Father is pleased to give you the Kingdom. Just imagine how powerful this young lady would have become. Rich, influential, and authoritative like the king but because of her mother’s unforgiveness she lost that opportunity. Don’t be foolish. Don’t be foolish
- Your future will be blessed if you are ready to please the king. If you are ready to let go of your bitterness, He is willing to give you the Kingdom.
- You can do whatever you want, but if you are carrying unforgiveness, you will become foolish. She could have asked for the prophet’s head on any other day but her bitterness made her foolish to ask for the head on that day when the King was willing to give her the kingdom.
- So, what do you do? Dance in a manner to please the king. There is dancing in the Father’s house; the prodigal son says there is a feast in my father’s house. The older son says I hear the sound of song and dance. This is the House of the Father. You can worship by dancing, running, clapping, with a tambourine, with hands lifted, with lying on the floor.
This woman danced herself into the king's heart.
- We do not know what it was, but the King liked her enthusiasm, her energy, her innocence, whatever you do, the King must be well pleased with you. and If the King is pleased, He will give you whatever you want.
1 John 3:22- 22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight
- Whatsoever we ask, we will receive. How? If we keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. If you obey his voice, no matter what you ask, He will give you whatever he asks for. Health, ministry, long life, car, house, job and promotions, visa. If you obey him in a way that pleases Him, he will give you whatever you ask Him for.
SOLOMON went into God’s presence with a sacrifice. Everybody around him was also coming with sacrifices. But he wanted to please the Lord. He offered 1000 sacrifices. He did that and
went to sleep soon after, The Lord appeared to him and said he was pleased with him and asked him what he wanted. Solomon asks for wisdom. The Lord is happy. He could have asked for the defeat of his enemies, for a long life etc. but he asked for wisdom. God gave him wisdom and also blessed him with what he never even asked for.
- God is still on the throne, He can still provide. He can still bring the water from the Rock. • So, we can say it’s a million-dollar dance. Dance till you please the King. Some forgive but forgive till you please the King. Don't just pray but pray till you please Him. Don't just serve in the church but serve in such a way that you please Him.
- You may be clapping hands etc. but till you sense a conviction in your worship and prayer, don’t stop. May you be a king-pleaser. I dance to please you, Lord.
- Many people may think that you are dancing too much! Or you are too loud! The same thing happened to blind Bartholomew. He shouted louder but it was for the King. • Many people dance but it is with somebody else. You try to synchronize with them. you follow each other’s steps. You are dancing to please each other but now, you dance to please the king, your eyes are only focused on pleasing the king with your dance.
- She danced herself to the heart of the king. I clap my hands, I dress and come to church not to show any of you but I dance and give and dress up for the King of Kings and only to Pease HIM!
- I give not to show others but only to please the King.
- How many of you have written exams? Many of us try to impress our classmates sitting on the benches near us when we write exams. It is useless to do that. unless the examiner is convinced that we have written an answer as per the examiner’s expectation, all this is useless.
That is how your life should be. It should be about pleasing the Examiner, the Lord Himself. You want to please Him. not answer superficially, like the way men or people may expect and be pleased by but if you intensely set your heart and your mind and everything about you to please God more than anything else, you will be blessed.
I love you but I love Jesus more!
When you please the King, your life will move from zero to surplus. The Holy Spirit will move us from zero to increase.
Even in your marriage, initially, we had come together and Jesus was in the midst of us and the three-fold cord was strong. But slowly we became busy just trying to please each other (husband and wife) and the Lord stood far off and thus, the marriage landed in problems. Why do we forgive our spouses even if we don’t feel like it? Because I want to please my King! We are not here to give tic for tac but you want your marriage to please the king.
I am not synchronized with anybody else but my connection is with the King.
2Daniel 5:11- There is a man in your kingdom in whom is the Spirit of the Holy God. And in the days of your [a]father, light and understanding and wisdom, like the wisdom of the gods, were found in him; and King Nebuchadnezzar your [b]father—your father the king—made him chief of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers.
2) Daniel lived in the Holy Spirit.
- There is a man in thy kingdom in whom is the spirit of the Holy Gods. Daniel lived in the Holy Spirit, not in the flesh. Walk the work of the Spirit, not the works of the flesh like selfish ambition, lewdness, adultery, anger, fornication, greed etc. Don't live carnally but in the spirit. With the help of the Holy Spirit.
Permit Him to correct you, change you, lead you, take control of you. the Holy Spirit lives inside of you.
- Paul tells Timothy, ‘Stir up the gift of God in you which was deposited when I lay my hands on you.
- Daniel lived in the realm of dreams and visions. May the Holy Spirit open up such a realm in your life? May you see dreams and visions of the Holy Spirit, divine wisdom and solutions to problems, may the Spirit release it over your life.
Daniel 10:11-19- 11 And he said to me, “O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you.” While he was speaking this word to me, I stood trembling
- Daniel is addressed as “A man greatly beloved!” If heaven were to call you today, it would be ‘greatly beloved of the Lord’. The Lord loved you so much that He gave His only begotten son for you. He gave the Holy Spirit to you because you are loved by Him.
- Perfect loves cast out all fear. There is peace and wholeness in His love. God gives us Peace, rest and joy in His love.
Verse 19- 9 And he said, “O man greatly beloved, fear not! Peace be to you; be strong, yes, be strong!”
- Strength comes when you know that God loves you. Do not be afraid. Be strong. Oh greatly beloved of the Lord, do not fear. Be strong. Say this to each other!
- Four kings came and died but Daniel was still living at that time. 1000s may fall at your side and 10000 all around you but it will not come near you and nothing shall hurt you!
3) Daniel received the word of the angel.
- Nothing will come near you and harm you. You are a peculiar people, a holy nation, a royal priesthood. You had not received mercy, now you have received mercy. You are strong, you are chosen, and you are filled with the peace of God.
- Daniel did not lose peace even in the lion’s den because Daniel received the word of the angel.
- Daniel was a man who took and received the Word. If you receive this Word, fear will leave you, you will be at peace and you will be strong. You will be filled with the love of God. • Even if your mother forgets you, He will never forget you for He has carved you in the palm of His hand.
In the lion's den, Daniel was not afraid. He prayed as usual because he knew he was the beloved of the Lord.