Sunday Sermon by Pastor Rajesh Mathew, 13 August 2023
Psalms 136:1-4- To Him who alone does great wonders.
- The Holy Spirit is leading me to preach about God’s mercies today. In this chapter of Psalms, the phrase ‘give thanks unto the Lord for His mercy endures forever’ is used 26 times. • Verse 4 refers to God as One who alone does great wonders.
- God's mercies. Who desires God's mercies today? There are 7 dimensions of His mercy and we will go through all of them and touch upon just one or two in detail.
Lamentations 3:22- Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed because His compassionsthey fail not.
- Another version says we are not destroyed because of the mercies of God. The reason why we are not destroyed is because of His mercies. You may be facing adverse challenges, adverse forces of life, challenges of life but if you are still standing, it is only because of His mercies. If you are still listening to this Word, it is only because of His mercies. Give thanks for His mercies.
I am a seed of God’s mercy. I am a product of God's mercy.
- That cancer would have destroyed you but you were not destroyed by it. Not because of your greatness or your prayer or your holiness but because of His mercies. You should have succumbed to the accident but you survived because of GOD’s mercies.
- If God’s mercies is upon you, you will survive every storm, come out of every challenge, and stand because of His mercies. You will come out of the prison and the problems victoriously because of His mercies.
You will go through fire and water but they will not destroy you. GOD'S mercies will deliver you.
1) MERCY RESCUES US FROM OUR ENEMIES
Psalms 136:24- And rescued us from our enemies, For His mercy endures forever;
- The Lord’s mercies deliver you from the snare and anger of the devil. When the devil throws all kinds of things at your life, you will come out of it only by His mercies.
- Even if an army advance against me. Even if the devil surrounds me, I will not fear for the Lord's mercies are with me. the Lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear?
- Our war is not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers. The devil will take hold of some people to do his will against the people of God and God takes some in His hand to fulfil His purposes. Some of you are in the Lord’s Hand because of his mercies.
Psalms 18:3- I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.
- Let the enemy not rejoice over your life. May the Lord's mercies bring you out of every plan and scheme of the devil. The mercy of God will pull you out of every destruction.
HIS MERCY is His rescue force.
- The mercy of God brings you out of every bondage, every affliction and every plan of the enemy. A pastor met me last week and said that he saw two angels standing next to me. And he said that they are the angels of mercy.
- His mercy will bring you out of every trap and every evil power of the enemy. • Mercy brings you out of poverty and even out of sickness. We all know the scriptures of healing, we have been to every healing conference and every healing minster may have laid their hands on us and prayed but we may not have been healed, but today do what Bartholomeus did- Cry out to Jesus – “Jesus, Son of David have mercy on me!”
- Bartholomeus received sight and he said, I once was blind but now I see! He was no longer a beggar. Because when the mercy of God comes upon your life, the Lord will change yoru situation. Today humble yourself and ask the Son of God for His mercy.
The mercy of God will pull you out of every sickness, every lack, every fear, every bondage, every rejection, and every depression.
2) MERCY CAN REWRITE YOUR STORY
- The mercy of God can change anybody and anything. A stammerer became a prophet. Saul became the apostle Paul. It's His mercy that brings forth mighty miracles for you. • People think that only sinners need His mercies. You don't need to call Him for mercies only because you are a big sinner! Jesus dealt with sin by paying the price for all our sins once and for all on the Cross of Calvary. Lord, I receive your mercy!
Mercy is actually a power. MERCY in Hebrew means an anointing, it is a power and a strength. It is a thing that manifests powerfully in your life.
- This morning, receive His mercies.
3) MERCY GIVES YOU DIRECTION
Psalm 136:16- To Him who led His people through the wilderness, For His mercy endures forever;
- The Holy Spirit will give you direction. The mercy of God will give you direction. Where to go, what business to do, whom to marry, when to marry, where to build my house, where to travel to. Mercy gives us direction on all these aspects of our lives.
- Don't take refuge in your understanding and trust in yourself. Within His mercies,there is direction and wisdom.
The mercies of God have the power to direct you in the way that God has planned for you.
- God's mercy will not lead you in the wrong direction or in the path of sin. It won't allow me to do the wrong business or be with the wrong people. It will not allow me to make wrong decisions. • Even in the midst of the Red Sea, His mercy will make a way miraculously in a way that will shock people. Be on your knees and say “Lord your mercy, show me which way to go!”
Genesis 46:1- 46 So Israel took his journey with all that he had and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. God was with him.
God should be with you when you step into a journey.
Verse 3- 3 And he said, I am God, the God of thy father: fear not to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of thee a great nation: 4 I will go down with thee into Egypt; and I will also surely bring thee up again: and Joseph shall put his hand upon thine eyes.
- Here the Lord is telling them to go down to Egypt. He saysthat when you go into Egypt, even there I will be with you. Even in Egypt, I will make you grow. I will not only watch over you but I will increase you there and when it is time, I will bring you out from there. Though they were in 430 years of slavery, God brought them out mightily and brought their generations out. God not only brought them out from Egypt, he even increased and made them grow.
INCREASE IS COMING
4) MERCY BRINGS INCREASE
Exodus 1:6-7- 6 Then Joseph died, and all his brothers and all that generation. 7 But the people of Israel were fruitful and increased greatly; they multiplied and grew exceedingly strong so that the land was filled with them.
- The land was FILLED with them. They multiplied and waxed exceedingly mighty! If God is walking with you, even if you face challenges on the way, know that He can make you grow greatly and increase you. Heavens are opening a way to increase you.
They skyrocketed. They lengthened their borders. They accelerated. They got taller. They began to increase in status. They began to thrive and they began to flourish.
The Lord Almighty was with them. The ALL-inspiring God. The
He will do mind-blowing things. He will do things
that will open mouths and make people speechless!
- He will make you speechless! When He makes me walk in His mercies in such a way that will open people's mouths in shock. You will wonder how this happened! Because of the mercies of GOD! • God shows mercies to reveal that He is invested into them. Generations went into Egypt because God had invested in them. God invested in Egypt through Joseph. Therefore, when the time came, He said, come out and bring out every investment for my glory. It is my time to bring out the multiplied investment, he said. The Lord split the Red Sea and brought them out.
5) MERCY WILL OPEN SHUT DOORS
- His mercies will open doors where doors are shut. When they crossed over the Red Sea, He told them to turn and look and when they did, what did they see? They saw that the tyres of the chariots of Pharaoh were removed and Pharaoh and his armies were fully drowned!
- When you walk through the sea, won't your feet be muddy, wet, murky, or slippery? But the Word says that they walked over dry land! When God leads you out, your legs will not slip. Your feet will not slip. You will walk through His presence and His Glory.
- When God opens the doors, you will come out by His mercies! The Holy Spirit is bringing some people out.
6) MERCY WILL BATTLE ON YOUR BEHALF AND BRING JUDGMENT ON YOUR ENEMIES
Psalm 136:17-18- to him who struck down great kings, for his steadfast love endures forever; 18 and killed mighty kings, for his steadfast love endures forever;
- God will battle for you no matter how big the army of enemies/ contenders or opposition comes against you. He will bring you out victorious.
God will contend with those who contend with you.
Jeremiah 30:20- Their children shall be as they were of old, and their congregation shall be established before me, and I will punish all who oppress them.
- God's mercies will establish you and punish those who oppress you. You forgive and pray for them. You look to Jesus and walk and He will handle all your situations for you.
7) MERCY WILL REMEMBER YOU IN YOUR LOWLY STATE
Psalms 136:23: 23 God remembered us when we were down, His love never quits. 23 He remembered us in our humiliation His love is eternal.
- God’s mercy remembers you when you are down, when you are in a lowly state and when you are depressed. When you are in the valley, God will remember you. Lord remember me in your mercy. • There are people here who are in a lowly state and HIS mercies will do something amazing because of His mercies towards you. You may be in debt but God will remember you.
Certain projects that are stagnated and stuck will be set free today. The Holy Spirit will activate them, His mercies are working for you.
Psalm 136: 4- To him who alone does great wonders, for his steadfast love endures forever; • God who does “wondrous things”. The Bible talks about signs, miracles and wonders. WHAT ARE THE WONDERS?
All of God's works are supernatural.
- God is never controlled or limited by TIME-Heaven has no clock and no calendar. God stopped the sun for Joshua! People say, I am growing old, my child is growing old. God doesn’t understand that. God made time turn back by 15 years for King Hezekiah. Sarah's double menopause happened but God caused a reversal to happen and God blessed her and graced her with an Isaac. Sarah was young and endearing even at the age of 90. Time will work in your favour when God's mercy shows up. It is not late. The mercy of God will do wondrous things. There is a grace here to reverse your age. Your age will not show on your face. May your strength, may your vitality, beauty and power only increase even as you age.
God will do a Jaw-dropping wonder for you. It is not too late!
- God is never limited by SPACE- God can fulfil His purpose anywhere. Distance is not an issue for Jesus. Centurion said I am not worthy to come to my house. LORD JUST SPEAK A WORD from here and the servant will be made whole. The Syrophoenician
woman said only a breadcrumb is enough for my daughter. You may be sitting here and thinking of your problem but all you need is one Word and God can act in your situation. He is not limited by space.
The Holy Spirit will take some of you into such a dimension where time, space, distance, and age, none of these will act as barriers. All you need is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. All you need is the mercy of God.
You don’t need a sharp brain or active mind to understand these things, you only need a heart full of faith.
- God is not controlled by MATTER- Physical obstacles aren't a problem for God. What limits other people cannot limit you. The Jordan, the Red Sea,
the Jericho walls did not limit the children of God, the water did not limit
them because it turned into wine. All these barriers are a non-issue for
God. The Lord will do the miraculous. Just one look from the Lord is
enough. Closed doors aren't a problem for Jesus.
- Just get into the mercy of God, and enter into his anointing. His
mercies will beckon a season of miracles.
You will cross what nobody else has crossed, you will access what others have no access to. When the mercy of God is upon your life, you are UNSTOPPABLE!
- Don’t think like Einstein. Think like Paul. At least think like Thomas. When the Lord asked him to touch his nail-pierced palms, he did not touch but he cried out and said, “Lord you are my God”. May the Lord release a heavenly faith inside of you.
God is equal to every emergency and urgency in your life. Nothing that happens in your life takes God by surprise.
He is a God who never tires out. HE DOESN'T KNOW FAILURE. He doesn't sleep or slumber. His Word is unchanging. He is Lord Almighty. His name is Jesus. May you call forth those things that are not as though they are!
- He is not limited by NATURAL LAW- The law of gravity works everywhere but a superior law is the law of lift. The Lord rose up after being resurrected defying the law of gravity. There is the law of supply and demand. The Lord was able to supply 5000 people with 2 fish and 5 loaves (disproportionate supply). He cannot act as per your thinking and logic and reason but HE acts supernaturally proportionate to your faith. Lord, I need your grace!
Mercy means He does what He wants, when He wants, how He wants and where He wants!
- It is not how we want. He will do it His way. You cannot fathom this in your mind. You need to cry out that Lord your mercies is all I need!
- Lord show me wonders in my life! Praise and worship Him.