The Secret Of Fruitfulness
Sunday Sermon by Pastor Rajesh Mathew, 12 January 2020
Jude 3- Contend for the Faith- 3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
Mark 4: 30-32- The Parable of the Mustard Seed30Then He said, “To what shall we liken the kingdom of God? Or with what parable shall we picture it? 31 It is like a mustard seed which, when it is sown on the ground, is smaller than all the seeds on earth; 32 but when it is sown, it grows up and becomes greater than all herbs, and shoots out large branches, so that the birds of the air may nest under its shade.”
In the book of Jude, it is written, contend for the faith of your fathers. In the verses from Mark we read that the kingdom of God is likened to a mustard seed. It will be of no use if you have shelved it, but if you have planted it, it will grow and flourish. It may be your dreams, when you sow it in prayer and worship, the Lord is faithful to make your seed grow and flourish. It could be the dreams that the Holy Spirit has given you. The Lord is faithful to make it into a fruitful tree.
The mustard seed has little value
This mustard seed is not very valuable in anybody’s sight. Will you keep this locked in a safe ot a locker? No, you wouldn’t. But the heavens have given it value. Nobody may have ascribed value to you but God values you and purchased you with the Blood.
The mustard seed is very small
- The mustard seed is very small but within it lies the possibility of becoming a big tree. Not if it is kept in the shelf but if you sow it into the soil, it will grow into a great tree. There is sufficient possibility for your life to grow to become something great.
- If you worship, pray and call on the Name of Jesus the way you should, there are possibilities for your life that God can use for His glory.
The seed doesn’t have life on its own
- The life of the mustard seed starts only when it is thrown out of the shelf. Only when somebody throws it and rejects it that the life within it will spring up!
- In the past you may have been rejected and humiliated, the Lord is saying that the time has come for the life of Jesus to come forth through you.
In John 5, we see a man laying paralysed for 38 years. According to the Jewish traditions, his name would be cut off from the synagogue because of this long duration of affliction in his life. The people in the synagogue would conclude that he may have committed a grave sin and may be under the punishment of the Lord and that there is no hope for him. Everyone left him, his family, friends and neighbours. That is why he says there was no one to take him to the waters during the stirring.
But in that very place where you feel there is no one for you, The Lord says HE will come down to help you in that very situation
If you think you have nobody for you, the Son of God will come to you and put you in the water and send forth a great miracles upon your life.
The Holy Spirit says that the Lord will remove certain thoughts of rejection from your life. God is there for you. The hurts and pain of past rejection will leave. You will experience the presence of God in way like never before.
No matter who leaves you, rejects you or writes you off, you call on the Name of Jesus.
Tell each other- God will help you even when no one else does.
The mustard seed will grow only when thrown out
- How many of you have seen the mustard seed? It remains on the shelf for some time. It doesn’t grow then. Some people get depressed at that stage when they are on the shelf and see nothing happening or no help coming. This depression drives them to commit suicide.
- But our destiny is not suicide. There may be many of you who want to give up and die. But the Lord is telling you that you may be small and weak, but there are possibilities that the Lord has placed within you to grow into a big tree
- The seed when put into a pit and covered with soil, will never see light and it feels that it is finished during such points of time. It feels that it is only being trampled under people’s feet. But soon, when it is down to nothing, the life within it breaks out. When it is lying in the dark soil, it understands its calling
The time for your life to spring forth is at hand.
Tell someone- you are not alone. There is a possibility or you to become great. Within you is the life of Christ. You will grow and become fruitful. Whether it is in the areas of your job or your business or ministry or family, you will grow!
The mustard seed first lets its roots deep downwards This morning the seed will smell the rivers of the Holy Spirit and it will spring forth. Let the praise and worship for Jesus arise from within you
The mustard seed first lets its roots deep downwards
- I which direction does the seed grow? It grows downwards first. It first spreads its roots and only then do the things that have to come out into the open, comes out. It doesn’t grow immediately. No one can see its future immediately but the roots keep growing downward without anybody noticing it.
- Many people want to be seen soon but that is not how the mustard seed grows. It struggles and in the midst of this struggle, the roots grow down. Be rooted in the word of God, in prayer and in worship.
When people tell you that your story is over, let your roots run deep into the worship and into the Word.
Do not try to display yourself. Be silent and allow your roots grow downward in prayer and worship and in your faithfulness to the church.
Mathew 6:6- But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you [a]openly.
Don’t show off publicly. The Father sees you in the secret and blesses you publicly. If you let your roots run down into prayer, the Father will cause your blessing to be seen publicly.
Inside the 65 books of the Bible, there is everything you need to experience fruitfulness and blessings. Don’t entertain anything without the Word and worship or praise.
In Mathew 28, we see that the people put Jesus into the tomb and said it’s finished. They put stones there and allotted soldiers to guard the tomb. But that is the point where God started something. But the resurrection power came upon the Lord, and He was raised from the dead.
The place where the devil puts a full stop, is the place where Jesus removes the full stop and puts a comma and start something new for you. Where it feels like a dead end, that is where it will start.
That is why Jesus said, if you have faith like a mustard seed, you will speak to the mountain.
Some people’s business, job, family life is stuck in some place. You career is stuck in one place. It is not progressing, not headed in any direction. This morning the Holy Spirit is breaking that issue. You will grow and show forth the glory of God!
In this struggle is the growth!
The story of the Salmon fish
- Salmon fish is fo und in the Atlantic Ocean. When it is time for it to lay eggs, it looks for fresh water. It gets out of the ocean and swims upstream into the rivers to lay its eggs
- When it swims upstream no one is allowed to catch it as it is headed to lay eggs but can be caught upon its return.
- The fish lays the eggs and returns to the sea. Soon the eggs hatch and the little baby Salmons begin to start swimming back from the fresh waters back into the sea. They all reach the point where the fresh water meets the seas water. 70% of the baby Salmons remain at that point and remaining 30% decide to continue swimming into the sea. They brave the big sharks and whales but continue swimming and make it back into the sea. The fish that swim back to the sea grow one and half metres in length over two years. They become big and repeat the same process of swimming upstream to the rivers to lay eggs. On their way up, they meet their cousins who decided to stop at the meeting point of the fresh and the salt waters. These cousins are tiny (grown only to a mediocre size) unlike the salmon that reached the sea
- Be like the Salmon babies that pray and brave the whales and sharks and swim into the sea. They grow big. Don’t be mediocre like those that aborted their journey half way.
The Holy Spirit is showing that’s some people travels that were blocked in the past is being released. In the 12 months of this year, some body here will set their feet into a new nation every month for the glory of God, covering 12 nations in the year. God is removing that hindrances to travel
- The possibility is there for somebody who is believing this morning
- The possibility to grow is within this seed. You will grow, and grow, and grow and GROW! Miracles will happen.
Never underestimate the third person of the Trinity, who raised Jesus from the dead. He can bring you out of any bondage, out of any darkness. He will take the keys from the hands of the devil and bring you out!
This is the month of prayer. May the Holy Spirit show you that you are valued. In the midst of the humiliation, the Lord will make you stand like a great tree.
- Let there be a grace to let your roots run downwards and to stay rooted in the church.
- Job 19:25- I know that my redeemer lives and in the end he will stand up on the earth. Job suffered but he was restored. In the midst of his suffering he declared that his Redeemer lives!
- When Joseph's brothers betrayed hi, in due time he became the prime minister of Egypt.
Though your beginnings are small, the possibility of becoming something great is within you.
- “Nothing good will come forth from Nazareth”, but that is where Jesus came from. Nazareth’s insignificance did not stop God from choosing that place for His glory
- In the place where you are made to believe that you are finished is where God does something
- Faith declarations are important. You will not be finished.
When the children of Israel moved out from Egypt to the Promised Land, they had to cross the Red Sea. It was 35,000 M in width, with varying depths of 90 feet or 80 feet or 160 and 1600 feet in some places. It seemed like an impossible feat to achieve. That is where Moses heard the voice of God and prepared to move forward. The fastest hurricane so far that the people have seen has a wind speed of 220 km per hour. Winds with that speed can overturn trucks and houses. The wind that God sent would need to have the speed of 2,60,000 km per hour to part the Red Sea. That speed could have blown away the older men and women, the flock and children among the Israelites journeying. But that did not happen. The Lord did not allow HIS Wind to harm the people of God but to make a way for them. The place where you felt impossibilities staring at you in 2020, is where God will send forth the Wind of the Holy Spirit to blow and open doors.
Let the wind of the Holy Spirit blow and open new doors for you.